Monday, March 07, 2005

Jose Reyes

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2003891

I can, with absolute certainty, say that I was one of Mets phenom Jose Reyes' first fans. When he came to the Bombers (where I served as media relations assistant) in 2001, he was this lanky 17-year old that no one knew anything about. In a sea of "Ooooh I'm a 14th round pick and I'll probably never make it to the majors but you can't tell me that" arrogant SOB minor league prospects, Reyes was a quiet, unassuming unsigned free agent that just exploded onto the scene. Baseball America had never featured him on their "Top Mets prospects" page.

His arm was unbelieveable. Single A-level defense can often be painful to watch, but this kid already had that part down! At first, he struggled at the plate, but his learning curve was just tremendous.

And everyone knew he would make it. What a thrill to have seen him get the call. I believe it was Carl Everett who said of Reyes (paraphrasing): there are few players who are put on this earth just to play baseball, and he is one of them. If only he could keep that hamstring healthy!

On another note...

For the first time in five years, it looks like I won't be playing fantasy baseball...or at least not with the "regulars" since 2001. Our commish has lost touch with a lot of friends, some of whom were rather apathetic about fantasy baseball, and you can't have a successful, competitive league with fewer than 8 people. I could go the anonymous league route, but part of the fun is knowing the other participants. I'm undecided.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home