Nicknames and the All Star Game
I am a sucker for a good baseball nickname. I wonder why guys always feel the need to call their comrades, at the very least, by their last name, or assign nicknames. Everyone who's ever played a sport knows that the most common ones come from taking the last name and adding "-er" or "-ie". The best ones, though, are those coined by writers/sportscasters.
My current favorites:
Richie Sexson - "Big Sexy" (love it. 6'8", 238lb)
Dontrelle Willis - "D-Train"
Greg Maddux - popularly called "Mad Dog," (but I always liked "The Professor")
Fred McGriff - "Crime Dawg" (oldie but goodie)
Joe "Help me" Randa
Historic Baseball Nicknames
ESPN's Page 2 Ranks the Top 10
Berman's Nicknames
Speaking of Chris Berman, I will probably (again) watch this year's All Star Home Run Derby on mute just so I don't have to hear "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack Baaaaaaaack Baaaaaaaaaack GONE!"
Any other nicknames you like?
All Star Game
Ah, the popularity-contest-I MEAN THE ALL STAR GAME- is finally upon us. I must say I think the AL got it totally right this year-their lineup rocks. Which kills me, b/c I'm an NL gal. NL fans voted in Carlos Beltran (what?!) It just burns me up, guys like my boy Carlos Lee who leads the majors in RBI , but "fans" don't vote for him b/c they don't know who he is. (BE SMART and look up the stats, MLB.com makes it easy for you!)
I think the only thing that makes up for it is that Derek Jeter isn't an All-Star (That's okay Derek. Extra time for you to take out Jessica Alba or Scarlett Johanssen on a date).
Fantasy Baseball
I'd like to point out that I have won four straight weeks of fantasy ball, and 6 of the last 8. Go me! I'm now in 11th place, which I can tell you is way better than 14th. I'm facing the league leader Nassau Express this week (although it's short one due to the All-Star break) but he never visits my blog anymore, not even to taunt me. ha!


6 Comments:
The joy I have that there will be no Joe Torre or Jeter this year warms my tiny, tiny, cold heart...
No Jeter is lovely. Wish there was no Pay-Rod either.
Berman's nicknames are too cutesy/silly. Most of the so-called nicknames are just variations of the players' last names, though some I like, like Wake and Tek. I loved names like Spaceman and Pudge and the Penquin.
There are some that exist online, but probably not in the dugout, like Pay-Rod, but are easy to use.
I tend to give players nicknames of my own, like "Tickle Me Brian" for Brian Daubach (he obviously was separated at birth from Tickle Me Elmo) and Duke of Earl for Earl Snyder.
current favorite nickname: Big Papi
How could I forget Big Papi? a great one.
Bud Black 'And Decker' was one of my faves...Kirby Puckett 'and the Union Gap Band' was also pretty good...
Richie Sexson - "Big Sexy"
yes, yes he is!!!
my fave nickname is a football one... andre "bad moon" rison. love it.
earl snyder.. yummy.
Post a Comment
<< Home