Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Some Thoughts on Last Night...

One of the finest of our generation, who needs no introduction, earned his 3,000th strikeout last night. Another accolade. Of course, he is not a strikeout pitcher, which is further testament to his consistency and longevity. He has only ever had one 200+ strikeout year, while the other 3,000 K club members have all had at least 3. Nolan Ryan had 15 200+ K seasons!

The Braves beat the Nationals last night to regain first place...one of the most exciting Braves games I've seen in a while--Livan "It's 99.9 percent I'm not going to pitch no more" Hernandez and Smoltzie duked it out in a great pitching matchup, and Andruw capped off the 10th inning with a walk-off, er, walk. The Nationals are spiraling. Don't say I didn't tell you so. The Nationals, who have been outscored by their opponents by 20 runs and won more 1-run games than anyone in MLB, are 1-8 in their last 9 one-run games. It caught up with them.

Matt Clement sure was hit "wicked hahhhd" wasn't he? Man alive (whoa, an unintentional pun). I am so happy he's okay. I hope psychologically he can recuperate just as well.

NBRT: And just because Spurrier is cool when he's in your corner. SECond Coming

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

you don't have to tell me that the progress is remarkable. I have seen the expansion teams (in essence what the Nats are) that struggle to have any success, so what the Nationals have done under Robinson is worthy of note. However, they have been winning the close games with little offense, and it is catching up to them. And pitching staffs tend to tire in the 2nd half. I will continue to believe that the Braves will take their 14th consecutive division title.

************
The Gamecocks' success will take time, much like the Nationals'. South Carolina, the state, has a tough time keeping it's recruits at USC or Clemson...they all go to Tenn or Fla or GA. The Gamecocks need a stud QB skilled in "the Spurrier system", and plenty of offense. Winning 10 games will take a while, but the SEC is the toughest college FB conference in the nation.

And about the "next year" mentality... the fans will remain one of the strongest parts of the Gamecocks' core--we were packing that stadium 80,000 strong during an 0-11 season. I think that an SEC title is possible within 4 years.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I'm sorry, but who are you? :) :)

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home