Thursday, March 24, 2005

Smoltz is back!

I'm figuring my way around this blog, tinkering with HTML to add stuff. I think I was the only bozo who didn't know how to code my links.

Report from Camp:
John Smoltz is looking good! 14 scoreless innings pitched this spring, which is very telling b/c with his kind of injury, he'd get lit up right away if the injury impeded velocity or pitch placement. I think the true test will be how his arm will hold up after 7+ IP. Or, if the bullpen is good out of the gate, limit Smoltzie to 5-6 IP (which is what he's been throwing in Spring Training) to preserve his arm. Overthrowing could cause him to run out of gas in September. No matter how hyped he is about returning to the starter role, he has had, what, four surgeries in the last few years? BUT, he has dominated as a starter AND a closer, and the latter (55,45, and 44 saves from 2002-04), as well as his incredible post-season performance (Most postseason victories with 14) have all but clinched his place in the HOF.

Smoltz's Spring Training Success
John clinched post season win #14 on 10/11/04

Regardless, I am excited once again about the Braves' rotation. Tim Hudson, John Smoltz, and Horatio Ramirez are all stellar--Mike Hampton and John Thomson need a little Mazzone magic but they're average at worst.

NBRT (Non-Baseball Related Thought) Of The Day: Jay's thinking of adopting a greyhound. I didn't know how well I liked the breed until we went to Pet Smart with Mom last weekend, and there was a greyhound "Meet and Greet" (!!!!) One immediately came up to Jay and started nuzzling him. What sweet companions they are! We've been reading up on the retired racing greyhounds, and they're smart, relaxed, loving dogs. The Adopt-a-Greyhound is definitely something I'm on board with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Ok, first of all, who u callin bozo? I tried adding links, and while the links worked fine and looked as they should have, it messed up the rest of my blog. So I gave up for that day!

Secondly, hooray for possible doggie adoption. I think dogs are wonderful and add so much to your life. But what if you and Jay both get dogs, and they like each other and want to get married. Then if you and Jay got married, they'd be related! EEEK!! (ok, its the cold medication speaking, I've only half lost my mind.... :p)

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home