Autographs, part II
*First of all, I have been trying to post this for three days. Blogger has been off its rocker. Grrrr*
So the Knights issued a press release saying Harmon Killebrew would be throwing out the first pitch Friday night, then signing autographs-one per person! Jay and were stoked--dropped by Kmart on the way to pick up a couple of baseballs.
I didn't spend any time trying for Frank Thomas' autograph. By the time we got to the stadium, the Knights had already taken batting practice. Thomas did sign for several people before the game, but by that time I was in line for HOF Harmon Killebrew. The line was forming quickly, and following the first pitch, he was going to sign during the first through third innings. I was determined to get one autograph for sure!
Killebrew was so friendly. Almost too friendly! The line inched along slowly because he took pictures with those who wanted one, and chatted up the fans. When it was my turn, I said hello, told him my dad saw him play with the Senators and was a big fan. He engaged me in small talk, asking if my dad was still "with us" and of course I babbled incoherently, something about them getting back from vacation, but then I think I even mixed up the islands. D'oh! At any rate, I have another autographed baseball to add to my collection--another Hall of Famer.


By the way, the emcee called him HARLEM Killebrew twice during the introduction. How insulting! And, we saw Frank Thomas just in time. He was called back up for Monday's game!
We had a great Memorial Day weekend in Asheville. We had brunch at the most amazing place, Tupelo Honey. I highly recommend it. I had the sweet potato pancakes with peach butter and pecans on top and it was heavenly. On a sports-related note, we saw The Longest Yard. Really good movie--I haven't seen the original, but Jay has, and he said it was slightly different but just as good of a movie. My boy Nelly is just precious in it...you know he played minor league baseball and is quite the athlete. But it's funny and interesting and deeper than you might think. And, at the theatre, we saw Rashad McCants. And, pulling out of the parking lot in his black Lexus sportscar with a "2005 National Champions" license plate. Too funny.


2 Comments:
sweet potato pancakes with peach butter and pecans on top-- sounds heavenly, gotta have some when/if I get to NC
i've been wondering how that went! i never did make it to a game here to see thomas play. i'm so jealous... i *heart* "harlem" killebrew!
i've got my hands over my ears and chanting "la la la la" in regard to the "2005 national champs" thing though.
my poor orangeboys.
Post a Comment
<< Home