Commercials, the Knights, and Autographs
One of the things I love most about baseball is that, every year, there are guys that come out of nowhere and have big seasons. It's interesting to watch. They may be one-year wonders, they may be prophecy-fulfillers, but baseball-unlike most sports-tends to have lots of wild-card players that really step up (with a little bit of luck) and gain national attention...the Melvin Moras, etc. You can never tell. This year's big one is Mr. 8-0 Jon Garland.
Career Epiphanies
Can I also say that I love the Boys and Girls Clubs Baseball commercials. Too precious. I love seeing the players with kids (except when they're stealing my autographs--dangit!). And, so cool that the players were chosen based on "their on-field achievements and commitment to community service activities." I especially love the commercial with Dontrelle Willis. He looks like a big kid himself, and that toothy grin and big laugh!! I guess so, he's having his best year yet...it's good to be Dontrelle Willis right now.
So Frank Thomas began his rehab stint with AAA-Charlotte Knights yesterday. Of course, they're out of town til Wednesday the 25th. If he's still with the team then, Jay and I will head over and catch him in action. As referenced above, I repel autographs--especially at Knights stadium--(the notorious the Cal Ripken incident--still owe y'all that story) but it's worth a shot. Maybe I can shove a few kids out of the way. (kidding!... kind of) or wear a low-cut top to better my chances. Any suggestions? The Knights are lovin' life right now...their parent club, the White Sox, normally sucks with no exciting prospects..but they're the toast of the major leagues now.
Since I'm such a starstruck sports fan, I'm curious: What sports star(s) have you met and had a picture taken with or received an autograph from?


7 Comments:
A little story for you... my family goes to Disney World every chance we get. In 1996 we happened to be there at the same time as the mens and womens Dream Teams. It was extra exciting because the Olympics were in Atlanta that year. We got to watch them practice and even ate at some of the places they were eating at with their families. My friend Kelly's dad was the HUGEST Chicago Bulls fan and she went up to Scottie Pippen -- who is a giant -- and asked for his autograph, then we got our photo taken with him. My brother ran into Shaq and has his autograph and photo. It was an awesome experience!
I think we were separated at birth.
I have autos from tons of minor league players. The bestest autograph I have though is Ryne Sandberg's... and I had my pic taken with him, too.
The most recent autograph I got was from hockey player Matthew Barnaby. He was in attendance at a high school hockey tourney. I almost had a nervous breakdown because I didn't have a pen with me. Eventually I found one and approached him for the autograph... he reached into his pocket and pulled out a pen.
I have albums full of autographs!!!
Oh, I'll play!
When we first moved to AZ, I worked at Best Buy, in Paradise Valley, home to mega-multi millionaires (re: Sports stars). I waited on Luis Gonzales of the Diamondbacks (and saw him numerous times after that) and then when I was on break on night, a supervisor hopped on my register b/c we had a rush, and Jason Kidd (before he went to NJ Nets) came through my line. (But I wasn't technically there, so I guess that doesn't count-LOL)
Nick Swisher is in town this weekend on a rehab assignment, Sacramento is playing Omaha and I'm going to try to get out there and see him and Dan Johnson...remember him Emily?
well i got a Jeff Bagwell autograph many many *many* moons ago when he used to still play AA-ball for the Red Sox & when said AA-Red Sox-team still played in New Britain, CT. he used to be so excited to play & SO very gracious. i've heard rumors he's changed since then...but regardless i have a nice little memory. =)
I get autographs from minor leaguers on photos I've taken of them. I have only a handful, including a couple of Earl Snyder, one in his B-Mets's uni, another in his PawSox', and one of David Wright taken in Binghamton and signed during his brief stint with Norfolk. I'm looking forward to Durham coming north to update Earl's journey. I have traded with a couple players, an autograph for homemade cookies.
Ok, so I have never met anyone cool OR gotten any autographs.. but I've seen both Terry Bradshaw and Luke Schenscher (GA Tech basketball) in the Denver Airport.. how cool I am ?? heeheehehehehe (ok, so *not* cool, but just had to say something!)
Post a Comment
<< Home