Today's Thoughts
Good read on Smoltz vs. Pedro, Round 2 (Tonight)
NBRT: Getting Old
Those close to me know I've been going through somewhat of an identity crisis of late. You see, I'll be 27 this year. For those of you who say I shouldn't complain (oh to be 27!) hear me out. At age 25 or 26, one still has an air of carefreeness. Maybe you're soon out of grad school, or haven't found that career niche yet. No worries...you aren't supposed to have everything figured out yet.
But 27 looms large for me, because I think it's the age of accountability. For instance, I can't play around anymore with exercise. I need to do it. I can't excuse not eating vegetables because I'm picky. I need to do well by my body, even though my fast metabolism has let me scoot by this long. It will all soon catch up to me (on some level), and I need to take steps to do what I can to improve the strength of my heart and prevent cancer. Other indications of true adulthood: At 27, it is a scientific fact that a woman's fertility drops 25%, just like that. My friends are all starting to get married. Fiscal responsibility is necessity. Learning to cook. I need to do instead of just think about. All of these thoughts swirl in my head.
Here are some steps I have already taken to improve myself:
1) exercising 2x a week (trying to step it up to 3)
2) taking a multi-vitamin (Women's One a Day)
3) cooking more at home (cut down on fast food and processed junk)
4) wearing SPF 30 every single day on my face (been doing this for over 6 years)
5) trying to cut down on soda and drink antioxidant green tea.


6 Comments:
holy crap! a non-baseball post! green tea from Starbucks is one of my favorites. I also enjoy multiple diet cokes and cups of coffee during the day...
I'm looking 25 square in the eyes and it hurts....
My 27 year old ears are hearing you loud and clear!! I'm enjoying C's philosophy of listing the things you do have figured out at 26.5! I think I may just do the same.
-Mel
So funny to see you write about this topic, I talking to my boss about a conference we are going to in October and said, "We can celebrate my birthday" then in my head I said, "holy crap I am going to be 27” and then out loud I said, "man, I'm old." He looked at me with astonishment and gasped, "NO YOU'RE NOT." But ya know what – he’s right, the 30's are the new 20's and the 40's are the new 30's so I would say you are just entering into the good years!
I think all the things you are doing for yourself are great! When we feel better and healthier we feel better about ourselves and having confidence in yourself can take you places you never imagine.
Feel better Em! You have a lot to be proud of at your YOUNG age!
oh girl! i know what you're feeling. but ya know, i didn't have much of a prob with my 27th. it was my *26th* that did me in. i kept thinking, i'm on the downhill of this 20's thing! yikes!! but now, as 29 (oh, i can't believe i just typed that!) is approaching in a couple months, i'm am feeling the old age crunch again. i have decided that after this year, i'm just going to continue in the 20's. i'll be twenty ten, twenty eleven and so on. =)
Oh Em, I hear ya! I felt like you do on my 25th, and as we emailed this week-I am not really looking forward to celebrating my *first* 29th b-day. But things will start to fall into place. And it might not be the right time for you to make all these changes-you still need to hold on to that 'youngness', LOL! Let's not get all responsible all at once, ya hear? ;)
But I like Liz's comments-the 30's are the new 20's-so the best is yet to come. :)
Hugs-B
I think Colleen said it really well. I'm proud of you for acknowledging and doing things to make your life/body better. From what I know of you, I feel that you are young at heart -- and that's what really matters.
Post a Comment
<< Home