Talk Amongst Yourselves...
I'm going to be MIA for a couple days on a company business trip, but I leave you with this talking point:
Should Derek Lowe (now a Dodger) and Dave Roberts (now a Padre) have worn their old Red Sox jerseys (for all of 10 minutes) to accept their World Series rings?
Apparently, there is CONTROVERSY over this. Sportcenter anchor Steve Levy, former player John Kruk, and apparently half of America (according to an ESPN.com poll) say they should NOT have worn the Red Sox jerseys b/c they're no longer employed by the team. As a measure of respect...honor the team that pays you. Apparently that's the reason. EVEN THOUGH both Tommy Lasorda (MR. DODGER) and Jim Tracy, etc. all said they had NO probs whatsoever with them wearing the jerseys. In fact, I think they said Tracy said this opportunity comes around once in a lifetime.
I completely shrug my shoulders...why SHOULDNT they have worn Red Sox jerseys? They won the freaking ring with them. D-Lowe was a Red Sock for 8 years! And because he's been a Dodger for five days he's supposed to wear a Dodger jersey? Give me a break.
Am I missing something? I like to think I'm pretty old-school as far as baseball practices and rules go (I'm not a fan of interleague play, etc), so I don't understand the hub bub about it.


5 Comments:
They didn't suit up in full unis, they were wearing the jerseys they wore when they won the dang rings! It would have been disrespectful to the Sox if they had worn their new teams' jersey, and appearing in street clothes only would have been less celebratory.
The Yanks showed surprising class at the event.
They should have worn the Red Sox jerseys. I don't see what the hub-bub is about, especially since their new team managers didn't have a problem with it.
Sheesh.
i don't see anything wrong with wearing the sox jerseys... it was a night to honor the sox =)
of course, dave roberts is a former bisons (and the NICEST guy in the world) so he can do no wrong in my eyes. *giggle*
enjoy your trip!!
Being a lifelong Sox fan and this blogger's boyfriend, I thinks it was great. Of course, not much could have ruined my day yesterday (Or everyday since last fall).
*First, they had to get permission from their respective teams.
*Second, they had the balls to show up (some former players who weren't doing anything that day [uhem... Pedro] didn't show).
*Third, 86 firckin' years.
Come on, I think Red Sox Nation has been pretty well behaved considering everything they've been through, put themselves through, and accomplished. I know some other fanbases (Evil Empire) that have whined as much as the Sox have celebrated in the past 6 months. I personally think the Yanks handled themselves well yesterday. I have no beefs with their players ['cept A-rod] and respect their team, history, and management (minus Georgey Boy - although I love he ordered the team to stand and watch the ceremony [prob half PR move - half humble pie{kinda like when you rub the dogs nose it when he messes the floor}]). I just loathe/abhor/disdain their fans. Kind of like how I feel about Chapel Hill.
Come on, 86 frickin' years. Its a new day, a new millennium, and it started yesterday. Go Sox!
I personally believe it would have been incredibly disrespectful of them to walk out with the Sox to accept rings while wearing the jersey of another team. Honestly, wouldn't people be complaining about *that* too!?
Post a Comment
<< Home