Monday, April 04, 2005

The Draft

We conducted our fifth annual Fantasy Baseball League Draft last night. Managers have come and gone, but Josh, Connery and I are the long-running comrades. Want to give a shout out to Connery for a) reading my blog and b) taking over the commish role this year. It was good talking to you yesterday, dude!

I am always a nervous wreck before the draft, worrying that I won't make smart choices and hemming and hawing over picks. Making crib sheets, injury lists, and poring over a Sporting News fantasy magazine. I have convinced myself that part of my baseball prowess hinges on my fantasy baseball performance. I sucked royally last year (two of my top three picks last year had mediocre seasons, the other spent a boatload of time of the DL--and your top three picks are critical to your performance), and haven't won since 2002.

This year we have fourteen teams, which is the most we've ever had. I was convinced the draft would take over 4 hours. Each person has 1:30 to make a pick, and there are 24 rounds. Amazingly, it only took 2.5 hours!

Fourteen teams also make for a really competitive draft--the top talent wears thin much quicker. Thank goodness we've returned to head-to-head competition this year. I hate roto leagues.

Here's how it all shook out, for me, in order of selection. (I had the 12th pick overall, meh)

GARNET&BLACKV

Scott Rolen 3B (talent runs out quick at 3B)
Jason Schmidt, SP (one of the top 3 starters in MLB)
Mariano Rivera, RP (yes, he's a Yankee. But he's a save machine)
Michael Young, SS (he's young and he can hit a ton-and ARod, Tejada & Nomar were gone)
Kerry Wood, SP (if healthy, his K's can carry my pitching staff)
Carlos Lee, OF (The Sporting News swore he is a top tier OF)
Vernon Wells, OF (He burned me last year with mediocre stats--hoping for a better yr)
Shawn Green, 1B (versatile and consistent, and can have major fantasy impact)
Chris Carpenter, SP (ace with a great Cards offense behind him-a steal at in this round)
Brian Giles, OF (consistent power hitter-hoping for a 100 RBI season)
Juan Uribe, 2B-3B-SS (note the multiple positions, .283, 23HR, 74RBI ain't bad for a 2B)
Jeremy Affeldt, RP (took him b/c I needed some RP, my biggest regret of the draft)
Coco Crisp, OF (love his name! expecting big things from him. I put him at the Utility spot)
A.J. Pierzynski, C (waited on catcher, b/c the top 3 are gone quickly. Two 70+ RBI seasons)
Scott Linebrink, RP (needed another RP, good stuff and in a pitcher's park)
Horatio Ramírez, SP (my special Braves pick-awesome control and ERA. a steal here)
M. Holliday, OF (youngster has lots o' power. He plays at Coors Field. 'Nuff said)
Khalil Greene, SS (expecting good avg. and pop from this 1st round draft pick)

Those were my top 18 picks (of 24)...next to last I drafted phenom pitcher Scott Kazmir. Could be a goldmine for K's--he went much higher in other drafts around the league. But he's also inexperienced.

Any thoughts on my picks? :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my only thoughts is does Jay realize how luck he is to be in love with such a baseball fanatic? kevin would kill for me to know/understand that much about baseball!

6:06 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Troy Glaus and Aramis Ramirez both would have been great choices at third...and I can't beleive that you took Khalil Green..a CLEMSON alum! What is wrong with you??!!??

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is zambrano, chica? true, he screwed up in the end yesterday, but still gotta give the guy some love. he just needs his temper turned down a notch. glad to see that wood made your list though! :)

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baseball?? Is that all this is about, Emily ?? hee hee! Great blog, girlie- ah Javy is hot, isn't he? Sorry I won't be able to contribute any interesting conversation here.. after all, all we have are the Rockies :-)

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home