Thursday, April 07, 2005

Pitching and Defense

What baseball game(s) have you watched/enjoyed since the season began? Do tell!

Last night's Braves game was at first frustrating, later triumphant. I was so mad that the Braves could only muster 1 run of support for Mike Hampton, who only allowed 1 run in 6IP. Thank goodness the Braves won on a blast by Chipper Jones in the top of the 13th inning!

Despite my grievances with the offense (which, truth be told, isn't usually the Braves strong suit and always takes time to warm up), I was SO pleased with the pitching and defense. A strong outing from Hampton, six double plays, and SEVEN scoreless innings pitched by Braves relief. If we can have strong defense and stellar starting pitching this year (with a rotation that, for the first time in four or five years, has the potential--top to bottom--to be the best in the major leagues) we might see ourselves in World Series again, ladies and gentlemen. Sports Illustrated has already called it.

AND, our farm system strikes again. Rookie Pete Orr filled in for Marcus Giles at 2B, singled for his first major league hit in the third, and helped the Braves turn six amazing double plays on the night. Including one AWESOME combination with Furcal that that seriously shouldn't have been turned. He just went and put some heat on it to first! Seriously, though, can the Braves get a trophy or something for our freaking amazing minor leaguers? Our prospects are consistently the strongest, most productive of any in the major leagues. The Braves scouts and management are just tremendous. Our pitchers go on to have great success, even when they leave the Braves-- Jason Schmidt and Odalis Perez come to mind.

NBRT:
There is nothing that makes me want to jab sharp objects in my eyeballs more than gridlock traffic. The only thing that allows me to maintain a level of sanity on my drives home is singing the Dixie Chicks' White Trash Wedding at the top of my lungs. (take a listen on Amazon) It's one of three Dixie Chicks song that are mandatory for our wedding reception, along with Sin Wagon and Longtime Gone. I heart the Dixie Chicks so much.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey em!! ohhh you crack me up with baseball! i wish i knew more about it! :) and our nikko got the boot last night on AI :( what is up with that?! hehe! have a great day!!
*n*

12:46 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

NU and Creighton at the Blatt Tuesday night...the Jays come back from 3-0 with a run in the 6th, 7th, 8th and the game-winner in the bottom of the ninth...epic baseball...

That and I throughly enjoy anything the Yankees lose and Cubs win....

4:14 PM  
Blogger bootska said...

The only thing better than the Braves finish, was the Soxs'. Rivera don't scare me know more. He's blown 6 of his last 9 save attempts vs. the Sox. Four in a row in cluding the ALCS. I'm on the opposite side here. We've got the offense and our deffense and minors leagues are good, but do we have the pitching? Scoring 7 runs a game won't be normal!!

NBRT
I personally choose to listen to Rammstein, old Metallica, Slipknot, or some NYC Hardcore in heavy traffic(it makes me wanna push people off the road).

And yes ladies I know how good I have it dating this fabulous blogger!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love the chicks too, e! I wish they could come to this area! We would *so* be there...b/c I don't think I could drag my husband, kicking and screaming!

11:40 PM  
Blogger J and D said...

i *heart* dixie chicks too...they make me smile!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Baseball Diva said...

Diva to Diva, love the blog. Stop by mine sometime, bbdivadiary.blogspot.com

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily - didn't you just love Chipper's home run to win the game? Ahhh...love him! I can't tell you how nice it is to have another Braves fan that is a girl and a scrapbooker!!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Braves (hee hee).. love the picture I get of you jabbing sharp objects into your eyeballs- that comment had me laughing!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home