Just like that...
5 Games up in the East. As such, the planets have aligned. Baseball is as it should be.
Also...Hall of Fame Inductions. One of my idols, Peter Gammons--inducted as a writer--gave a beautiful speech. Gammons is just the best. He's a fan of the game, pure and simple. He writes without bitterness, yet still tells the story honestly. A guy you could trust to give you the scoop on spring training or trust to hold your place in line. And as much of a loyalist as he is to all teams, I'll never forget seeing him cover the post-game of the Red Sox's world championship--he was so giddy.
Read his HOF speech here (lots of his favorite baseball memories). A few of my favorite sentiments:
Throughout my career I have tried to be guided by one principle, that because I am human I have the right to like people. But because I am professional, I have no right to dislike any one. People ask me, as a New Englander, what was it like walking out there in the field when Aaron Boone hit a home run. To be honest, my first reaction was, I was ecstatic. I have known Aaron Boone since he was 13 years old and that's my privilege. My second reaction, I saw Tim Wakefield, head down, and I felt despondent. He's one man who did not deserve that.
I thank the thousands of players that I have known for making this ride better than I ever could have imagined. Ted Williams used to tell me, hey Bush, some day you want to walk down the street and have people say, you have the greatest job in America." Ted, it happens almost every day. For that I thank all of you, every one who read or listened to me, allowed me to try to be your eyes and ears, that allowed me to find what I love and hold on to it long enough to experience this, the greatest day of my professional career. Thank you.


2 Comments:
woohoo!!!
okay, you added that HOF stuff after i commented. there's HOF stuff on my blog too... shocking, huh??
love peter gammons!
Post a Comment
<< Home