Thursday, June 02, 2005

The Blown Save

***ETA: 10:30pm. You can imagine how thrilled I am that in tonight's Braves game, Dan Kolb managed to blow another save!!! 3H, 4ER! How does he manage to do this? Seriously! Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!***

Nothing kills me more than a blown save. I just "watched" (through Gamecast) Texas closer Cordero blow a 5-3 lead for my fantasy pitcher, Chris Young. There goes the epitome of a quality start: 7IP, 3ER, 8K. No decision. I'm sure Chris feels just great about that. Blown saves just kill morale.

It just makes me want to shake my fist. You're a closer. Your entire job is to end the game without circumstance. You are not supposed to give up runs.

About a month ago, Peter Gammons reported that something like 52% of save opportunities had actually resulted in a save. How absurd! I think that number has gotten better, but then you have guys LaTroy Hawkins has more losses (5) than saves (4)!

And, of course, Kolb lost his damn mind. 23 hits, 13ER, 18BB in 20.2IP. Four blown saves. I think Mazzone can help him, though, and that Kolb will end up with 30 saves. Remember last year-- Rockies closer Shawn Chacon who kept his job despite a 7.11 ERA! He finished with 33 saves! He'd give up 3ER like every game but the Rockies would still win 13-10!

He may or may not have been on my fantasy team last year.

3 Comments:

Blogger bootska said...

How about "The Blown Save Vulture"? The closer that comes in to save or hold a tie that gives up a run only to have the offense come in and get the runs to win in the next half inning. Derrick Turnbow ring a bell to anyone?

4:47 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

at least your team has a closer....

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this, "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while!" I'm totally using that sometime. LOL!!!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home