Monday, August 01, 2005

Top Story

Rafael Palmeiro failed a steroids test.

The 500-HR, 3,000-hit much-debated HOF hopeful, in his Congressional interviews, said: "I have never intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period."

I'll say this (again): How can you rake a guy like Mark McGwire over the coals, with all his unrehearsed, from-the-heart, OBVIOUS struggles with admitting or not admitting steroid use...and then believe a guy like Sosa or Palmeiro just because he emphatically says no? Palmeiro lied. Mark McGwire obviously has a moral dilemma with it, but not someone like Palmeiro. They're just interested in covering their butts. Lying? No problemo!

There has been much debate over whether or not Palmeiro should be admitted into Cooperstown, simply b/c he attained the stats through a lengthy career. I never thought that was an issue; if you hit 500 HR you should be in the Hall. Period. It's not like there are tons of people who hit that many HR, or have that many hits. Oh, boy, the media will have something to crow about now. I wonder if that will sway the writers who were on Palmeiro's side.

NBRT In other breaking news, it appears Sonic has taken the Chili Pie off their menu. Heavens to Betsy! For those sad individuals who do not have a Sonic near you, a chili pie is Fritos topped with chili and cheese. A Sonic staple. I am emailing Corporate. Keep checking back for updates.

UPDATE The good folks at Sonic emailed me back within a couple of hours, even if with bad news:
Sonic is constantly evaluating our menu offerings to best satisfy all of our customers. We are sorry that we no longer offer the item that you like so much, as this change has been made across the board. We value your opinion and will certainly pass your input along to our menu team.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

I heart Sonic. Cheery-limeade is bueno...

Listening to ESPN radio over lunch, I think Palmerio can pound sand. I figured it was only a matter of time before one of the 'big guns' got busted, I just never thought it would be him.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Jessica O'Brien said...

Never been to a Sonic, don't think i'd be a fan, but I totally understand the devoted love of a certain menu item. I order the same things over and over again at my fav. places!!!

I was just about to ask about your opinion/thoughts on steriods in baseball. My dad has coverage on this all in the background right now- got me thinking. Love seeing the thoughts of someone in the know as I have no knowledge ;)

8:11 PM  
Blogger bootska said...

When Jason Giambi had his little press conference at the beginning of the season, he was raked over the coals by the media. He was made fun of for at least a week. He never technically admitted to taking steroids, but everyone knew what he was saying. At least he had the guts to stand up and say "I'm sorry!" It pains me to praise a Bank-ee.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I wasnt even remotely surprised about this news. Guilty dog barks the loudest.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Chili Pie... sounds like the Frito Chili my father warned me about before I went to college. It's actually not as bad as he made it seem.

As long as Sonic keeps serving Chili Fries, I'll be happy-- so hard to find those out here.

2:34 PM  
Blogger caroline said...

Sad part - Bush supports Palmeiro. WTF

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home