Boston, Baseball Style (Part I)
First of all, I apologize for taking so long to post anything else, re: Boston. It's just the last week has been, um, busy with some stuff. Engagement stuff...yay!Boston is such a cool city. We stayed at the John Jeffries House, a bed and breakfast in Beacon Hill, which I highly, highly recommend. Not only is it quaint, charming, and in one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Boston, it is amazingly affordable. It is a reformed infirmary from the 1820s. And, right behind it is one of the coolest places ever (see above), the Esplanade--a bike/walking trail/boat dock right on the water. Talk about peaceful. One of my favorite parts of Boston. And check out the gorgeous sky in all the pictures--could not have been more perfect weather. (Click on the above picture for a bigger version).

We visited the two baseball destinations on the day we arrived! First stop:
Huntington Avenue Grounds, the site of the first World Series, on the Northeastern University campus. (Digression: I had no idea Boston was such a students' city--there are over 60 universities in the Boston area. Definitely a cool University flavor to the city).
The former Huntington Avenue Grounds are tucked away within the campus. But look for Worlds Series Way, and you know you're close. What a lush little sanctuary it is--I could read a book here for hours and be happy knowing I'm in one of baseball's first haunts.

There is a stone homeplate (in the same spot) 60 feet, 6" from a statue of Cy Young, as well as an historical marker/board that told us that Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, and Honus Wager played here. I wonder how many people walk by this little slice of yesterday every day without a second thought. Whether you're a sports fan or not, this is history.
Next stop: Nickerson Field. Apparently, the BU students aren't too familiar with athletics (the law students, save one guy, seemed startled by the question). Armed with directions (turn right at the McDonalds), we found what was once Braves Field.

We weren't as enthralled with Nickerson Field, it just didn't have a "hallowed" feel, because it seemed just like a college track. Regardless, I'm glad we visited. We did see the last home plate from Braves Field before they moved to Milwaukee (in the New England Sports Museum).

The New England Sports Museum was cool -- we saw lots of Bruins and Celtics stuff, plus Ted Williams and various minor and major league baseball stuff, and items from Massachusetts natives (Nancy Kerrigan's 1994 Olympics skates and outfit, etc). We also toured the locker rooms, arena, press area, etc. at The Fleet Center.
This concludes part I of my Boston post...I'll definitely try to post Part II by tomorrow night (including FENWAY PARK!!!!) because I'm leaving for Arizona on Thursday. So keep checking back :)


5 Comments:
Such fun stuff and YEA for AZ on Thursday!
Emily I LOVE hearing about your trip. Thanks for sharing all these pictures with us. How gorgeous was Boston and all the places you visited?!?! Geez just amazing!
you get to do such cool things.. i'm so amazingly jealous!!
i am TOTALLY lovin' hearing about your trip! makes me want to go back to boston!!! love that place! and have FUN in AZ!!! wish i was joining you!!!
How exciting to be making wedding plans!! Huge congrats to you, and I might need to tell my hubby that Boston needs to be next on our vacation list:)
Post a Comment
<< Home