I must be getting better at asking questions!
Holy cow!
As an addendum to yesterday's post...
HOFer, Big Red Machine, and baseball analyst extraordinaire Joe Morgan answered my question in the "MLB Chat" this morning! I submitted it, and then boom, he answered it immediately!
Emily (Charlotte, NC): Can Andruw really win MVP with a .280 batting average? it hasn't happened since the '70s, right? But he's a deserving candidate!
JOE MORGAN: I think he could. That shouldn't be a deterrant. If you are an MVP, you're BA doesn't really matter. Gibson won it for the Dodgers with a low average and low RBI's. It's MOST VALUABLE .. not MOST VALUABLE STATISTICAL PLAYER
Actually, Joe, if we want to split hairs, Kirk Gibson's BA was .290. NOT .277. Big difference, I think. BUT THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION!
"Most Valuable," not "Most Valuable Statistical Player". Good answer.

One more thing why aren't there more comments on yesterday's post!? I think it's my best blog entry to date, because I researched that all myself--I wasn't just linking y'all to someone else's column and giving my opinion! And it's something that hasn't been touched on a lot in the media, so I thought it was a pretty darn good subject! Hrrrmph! ;)


7 Comments:
not to rain on your parade, Em... but I honestly think you are smarter than Joe Morgan. You seriously seem to be more knowledgable about baseball. Sure, he plaed, but it just seems to me that he is losing it, or his ego gets in the way of his broadcasting.
Also, somebody please tell him it's a slider... not a 'slide piece'.
I'm intimidated by your baseball knowledge, Tyner...
All I know is that suddenly, my Cubbies have OWNED the Cards this year...what? Yeah, 5-2 against St. Louis this season...
awwww you guys feed my ego, thank you ;)
I agree that Joe is sometimes an ego maniac and tends to go down memory lane, name-dropping, a bit too much (Remember the home run derby this year?)
Hope you're having a great weekend!
cool, em!! (oh, and please note that you now have additional comment on your previous post.) *lol*
Hey Adam... just think, the Cubbies are playing what is basically the Memphis Redbirds... and oh yeah, they lost today.
No pride in beating a AAA team, tons of shame in losing to one.
WTG!!! You are the best baseball diva eeeevah!
three out of four ain't bad...
Post a Comment
<< Home