Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Boston, Part II















Fenway Park

BBDiva was right, the Fenway Tour is good, but not great. There were about 120 of us on the tour (!). We went onto the Green Monster seats, which was by far the coolest thing, but didn't allow us on the field! Apparently, at the Rolling Stones concert a few months ago, the foot traffic trashed the field, so the grounds crew doesn't allow it anymore. Check out that gorgeous sky!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
FEAR THE GREEN MONSTER!!!! (We are in the GM seats in the picture below). The nice photographer complimented me on my shirt. And look at my hair!!! It looks awesome, that great Boston air!
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Fenway Park is an amazing experience! It's such a bustling environment, and just has a different feel than the modernized ballparks of today. I kept having to remind myself "Ted Williams played here. Babe Ruth played here." It was surreal.

In keeping with the traditional Boston experience, we got Fenway Franks (which have some sort of sliced bread-like bun), fries, and 2004 WS Collectors Cup Cokes. We saw Manny being Manny (botching a play), saw Big Papi hit a home run, and I saw my other boyfriend Javy Lopez bat for the Orioles. I only cheered for him a lil bit. And then, my actual boyfriend became my fiance in baseball's finest park!!! Hooray!

Here are a few other Boston-related shots from our trip. We took a Trolley Tour all around Boston, one of those that lets you get on and off the stops all day long, at the Freedom Trail, the Waterfront/Aquarium, etc.

Buckminster Hotel, as mentioned before, where the 1919 Black Sox plan was hatched:
(sorry for the awful picture, the sunlight was blazing and I couldn't get a decent pic)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The street that Paul Revere's house is on (the house is far left):
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The old:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And the new:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Charles Street Meeting House, dates back to 1807, was a religious meeting house. Now businesses run out of it:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Beautiful sunset on the Charles River:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Pierce-Hichborn House, built 1711, is one of the oldest remaining structures in Boston and the oldest townhome in New England:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 Comments:

Blogger greg8370 said...

great pics and congrats!

10:14 PM  
Blogger {Amanda} said...

what are your hot dog buns like?? that's how they come up here :) :)

10:29 AM  
Blogger bootska said...

In trying to explain the hotdog bun situation to my fiance (as the hotdog connoisseur I am), it was tough to explain what "top load" hotdog buns are. I love 'em personnally, you just don't find 'em everyday. They are more likely to be found in the finer hotdog establishments closer to the beaches in NC. mmmmmmm. Hotdogs!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Baseball Diva said...

we know those buns as New England-style hot dog buns. They're great, best when they've been grilled on both sides.

Great shots, Emily. Fenway does have an atmosphere I haven't found at other MLB parks, not even Wrigley. As someone recently noted to me, Fenway has almost the same feel as a minor league park, without the annoying promos.

Was this your first time at Fenway? The new owners did a great job in blending in the new seating areas (you probably would be hard pressed to pick them out if you didn't know where they were) and in opening up the space under the stands. Used to be you could enter only the part of the park where your seat was; now you can walk from one side all the way 'round to the other under the stands. Only place that's limited is the Green Monster seats.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Baseball Diva said...

When I did the Fenway tour, we got to walk on the warning track but were told to keep off the grass. We also got to sit in the dugout which was where I got the "Carlton Fisk sat right here!" feeling. When you think about the players who played in Fenway, it's hard not to get a little chill, especially when you think about Babe Ruth pitching there, probably one of the best pitchers baseball ever saw, and lost.

When I go to Fenway, I park at the Alewife garage, at the end of the red line. When the train emerges from underground to cross over the Charles is my favorite part of the trip.

And tell Jay he's a super romantic guy in my book.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Jessica O'Brien said...

Amazing photos Emily! You are really becoming an exceptional photographer! I would love to visit Boston. I'm sure you were just drooling at all the photo ops! xo

9:55 PM  
Blogger Colin Gray said...

Congratulations on your engagement, glad that you enjoyed Boston. I was lucky enough to visit the city in 1990 and managed to get a ticket (standig room only) for a Red Sox v Twins game. It was an historic night, 9 double plays turned which tied the existing all-time major league record - AND I WAS THERE!!!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home