Wednesday, September 21, 2005

More MVP/CY debate...

Guess I should cease posting photos from all my vacations and get back to commentary, eh?

The MVP debate has heated up much more now that the season is nearing its end. The top choices are:
Andruw Jones vs. Albert Pujols, NL
David Ortiz vs. Alex Rodriguez, AL

My choices are the first of each pair. Now let's add into play the whole debate over whether or not Big Papi should win because he's a DH. To that I say:

"Oh, so you're saying at the very least you should wear a glove everyday--it's only fair to do both jobs." Addendum: If you're elite defensively, then it pads your chances.

IF THAT IS TRUE, then there is NO DOUBT that Andruw Jones is NL MVP. If carrying a glove, if defense is necessary to supplement an offensive season, ANDRUW JONES WINS no doubt. He is one of the greatest defensive outfielders EVER. How many runs does he save per year by being Superman in the outfield? DLee says he saves at least one per game.

If defense doesn't matter, then give the AL MVP to Ortiz. Easy math.

Ortiz is the most crazy-clutch hitter in recent memory. If Reggie Jackson was Mr. October, Big Papi should be Mr. April-October. As good as Pay-Rod is, there is no one who steps up big when the Red Sox need to win a game like Ortiz. He clubs the homer, hits the double when they need it. Mr. Automatic. He is no lower than fourth in any Offensive Category.

Ranks 1st in AL in HR (46)
• Ranks 1st in AL in
RBI (140)
• Ranks 1st in AL in
R (114)
• Ranks 2nd in AL in
BB (93)
• Ranks 4th in AL in
OBP (.397)
• Ranks 1st in AL in
SLG (.621)
• Ranks 2nd in AL in
OPS (1.018)

Yes, ARod is right behind him in almost every category. But that's just it: He's right behind him. Except for the huge disparity in RBI--Ortiz has twenty more RBI than ARod.

Andruw, as I have mentioned before, carried the team on his back this year. He was Most Valuable Player when the Braves lost 60% of their pitching staff, and when Chipper went down. He has 50 HR now in a season where the HRs are the lowest since 1997. Andruw for MVP This makes perfect sense to me. Even though I hate geometry, I feel I can do this proof.

No knock on Pujols at all. I think he is a better career player than Andruw. Pujols is amazing. He can do everything. He is having a typical season for the Cards, he just hasn't stepped up to quite the level AJ has this season. This is not his year. But he will win several, I have no doubt.

Giggle moment: Roger Clemens lost again, teehee. (And yes, I do know his mother passed). His record now stands at 12-8. There's not a chance in h*ll he can win the Cy Young now. My hope is that his ERA rises over 2.00 before the end of the season so everyone will shut up about it. I read this article on ESPN by Jayson Stark (who normally I agree with) about he should win the Cy Young, and all it was was AGE-ISM. Oh, he's 43 pitching this well, it's a medical phenomenon. Well, so was Nolan Ryan but they didn't layer him with CYs now did they? If Roger was 28 and had a 12-8 record no one would even consider him.

If anyone is keeping score, the Braves' Jorge Sosa is 13-3. Shall we consider him for Cy Young? He has only started 18 games, and look at the percentage he has won of those starts. Oh, and his ERA is 2.45, so don't go acting like it's all run support. And he's done some bullpen time when needed. Of course, everyone is ignoring all of this. He probably won't finish in the top 10.

Clemens vs. Carpenter, further analysis

NBRT: I have decided I am going to print up post-it notes that say:

"If You Can't Park Your SUV, You Shouldn't Have Bought One"

Then I'll put them on the windshields all offending SUVs, and it will make me feel much better. And don't squeeze that gas guzzler into a spot marked COMPACT. Thank you.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Glad that D-Lee threw it in at the end of the season...

It's a tough call, it's MVP, not MVPTYT (MVP to your team)...with that in mind, I think AJ has held his team together in the face of adversity (injuries and youth). Pujols is on a team that has seen a lot of injuries, but they are nearly as good without him as they are with him, IMO.

I like Ortiz for the fact that I HATE the spankees. But I think A-Rod is finally playing like he should be, he's the highest paid player in the game, you should be considered for MVP every year.

I do like Cano for ROY...

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MVP - National League - Andrew
American League - A-Rod

I am a former college baseball player; by my senior year arm injuries put me in the DH role. My senior year was my best hitting year.

Now that being said, by that time in my career I had become very discipline hitter and my understanding of the strike zone and my ability to recognize pitches was at my highest level. Hitting DH also allowed me to keep my mind clear between AB's. I also did not have to concern my self with everyday fielding. In college we only played 40 plus games, so I can only imagine the wear and tear of 162 games.

A-Rod plays the game as hard on both sides as any player in the game. I do not think he can be penalized because he plays on a NEW YORK team.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

actually, it IS MVP To Your Team, that's exactly what the award is...because the Most Valuable Offensive Player is the Hank Aaron Award. It is whomever achieves the most success and WHILE having the most impact on his team.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

"Hitting DH also allowed me to keep my mind clear between AB's."

Great point, Billy. :) And I think that is why a lot of experts give major points to ARod.

As much as I hate the Yankees, I wouldn't hold ARod's team against him UNLESS there was a clear discrepancy in his stats and Ortiz's.

Over the years there have been several dubious Yankees elected MVP--such as 1942 when Ted Williams won the Triple Crown, yet the writers gave it to Joe Gordon. The only category he led Williams in was....strikeouts!!!! (Gordon also led in most double plays hit into (22), and the most errors at his position (28).)

So there is indeed a Yankee effect, but I dont think that applies this year.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

age-ism? *snort* that should be what jamie moyer says. he's ancient.


GO Andruw!!! Don't forget that Andre Dawson won the MVP when his team was in dead last place.

5:56 PM  
Blogger bootska said...

Huzzah!!!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home